Gorkhi Terelj National Park Horse Riding – 2015
Experience Horseback Riding in Mongolia through an Ancient Cultural Landscape
Gorkhi Terelj National Park Horse Riding – 10 Days
This tour takes a total of ten days from arrival in Mongolia to departure, with eight days of actual riding. We’ll have you in the saddle within 24 hours of entering the country. The Gorkhi-Terelj National Park lies northeast of the capital city of Ulaanbaatar and within easy reach of the city. For those who have only a short time to visit but want to experience the real Mongolian countryside by horseback, this ride will cover some spectacular terrain, intriguing historical sites and exposure to traditional nomadic herding culture. If you are already in the country, we can pick you up at your hotel on the scheduled ‘Day One’ of the trip.
Tour Dates 2015
June – 15 to 24 July – 01 to 10 July – 17 to 26 August – 01 to 10 September – 21 to 30
Price – $ 2,950.00 per Person Contact Us Book Your Ride Now!
Includes all in-country transportation, hotel accommodation with breakfast, park permits, all camping equipment, horse gear, food and accommodation – tent/ger – while in the back country.
Small Groups! Maximum 6 Guests per Trip for a Low-Impact, High-Quality Adventure.
“An Adventure of a Life Time – “I loved every minute, the horses were lovely and very responsive, the countryside was wild and beautiful, the saddles comfortable and the food that was produced out of a tiny tent was indeed amazing (including freshly ground coffee every morning and wine at night). Everything was well organized but at the same time very relaxed.” Trish, Sydney, Australia. September 2014. Read more Guest Testimonials
No Single Supplement Requirement for Individual Riders. Ask about our Discount for Two People booking together or Groups of 3 or more!
Itinerary – 10 Day Gorkhi Terelj National Park Expedition
- Day One – Arrive in Mongolia. We pick you up, see you checked in at the hotel where you can rest or freshen up after a long flight. Depending on your time of arrival, you will have time to check out some city sights or do some last minute shopping
- Day Two – Travel to Darkhid Valley where our trip staging area is located and meet the herders with whom we work. Here you will be assigned your horse and equipment, given preliminary instructions, orientation about the trip and about the days’ travel. A ger or log cabin will be available to change clothes and pack personal equipment for your saddle bags, while the riding and packhorses are being prepared for the adventure. We then travel to the Terelj River in the Gorkhi-Terelj National Park. We pass a number of traditional gers and will see livestock along the way before climbing a pass and dropping down in the Terelj River valley for the night. We’ll cross the river and make our first night in a tented camp.
- Day Three – We ride down the Terelj river valley crossing the river several times before we head up into a beautiful side valley, through forest and over two passes, then descend into a valley, where in late summer, hay makers, can be seen cutting hay by hand for winter fodder. We camp in an open meadow for the night.
- Day Four – We continue down the valley and reach the lower Zuun Bayan gol valley where we’ll find a small river and often stop to let the horses drink. We travel up this wide open valley where we see summer camps of herders and move through pastures with herds of sheep, yak, goats and horses. Our lunch stop is next to the Zuun Bayan river. Continuing up the valley we’ll begin to see the rock formations characteristic of the Gorkhi-Terelj National Park. We turn off into a side valley for our nights camp.
- Day Five – This day is a bit more leisurely, we leave the pack horses and take a side trip to an historical site and ruin and a bit of off trail bushwhacking to gain some very fine views of the surrounding countryside. Return to our previous night’s camp for dinner.
- Day Six – From camp we travel further up the Zuun Bayan Gol Valley, making our way into wilder country. The upper valley is very scenic and leads into the more primitive Khan Khentii Strictly Protected Area. We’ll camp in grassy meadows surrounded by beautiful rock formations.
- Day Seven – From the upper Zuun Bayan gol valley we head up over a small pass then drop into the Baruun Bayan gol and head down this long valley to the Tuul river, where we’ll camp in a large riverside meadow for the night. This will be a longer day of riding and we’ll cover much more of the territory at a trot.
- Day Eight- We’ll travel along the Tuul river for some time before heading up and over two passes and down into the Terelj river valley to camp for the night. It’s around these areas we can hear wolves in the early morning hours.
- Day Nine – On this last day of our riding, we’ll head back up the Terelj river over a pass and back to the Darkhid Valley where we arrive around mid to late afternoon. Here we’ll enjoy some afternoon refreshment while the horses are being unloaded and your personal gear repacked for your trip back to the hotel and a hot shower for the night.
- Day Ten – Transport to airport or train station.
Download Tour Info
More Information on Gorkhi Terelj National Park:
Blog Posts: Gorkhi-Terelj National Park – A Guest’s View of Stone Horse Rides in Mongolia, Wildflowers of Gorkhi Terelj National Park, Mongolia, Gorkhi Terelj National Park in Mongolia
More Videos on Horse Trekking in Gorkhi Terelj National Park:
Are you looking for other Stone Horse Riding Tours in Gorkhi Terelj National Park and the Khentii Mountains?
In early October we offer a 6 Day Ride (8 Day in-country) in Gorkhi Terelj National Park - Read more..
Interested in the Deep Wilderness Trip into the Khan Khentii Mountains? Read more..