Horse Trekking in Mongolia in the Autumn Landscape of Gorkhi Terelj National Park
This Gorkhi Terelj National Park Expedition takes a total of eight days from arrival in Mongolia to departure, with six days of actual riding. We’ll have you in the saddle within 24 hours of entering the country. The Gorkhi Terelj National Park lies northeast of the capital city of Ulaanbaatar and within easy reach of the city. For those who have only a short time to visit but want to experience the real Mongolian countryside by horseback, this ride will cover some spectacular terrain, intriguing historical sites and exposure to traditional nomadic herding culture.
This horse trek offers great opportunity to see herds of free roaming horses in the park as nomadic herders move in to prepare their winter camps and their herds graze in the park to gain strength for the harsh Mongolian winter.
If you are already in the country, we can pick you up at your hotel on the scheduled ‘Day One’ of the trip.
“We’re already planning next year’s trip…”
Three friends and I went on the last trip of October 2014 to Gorkhi Terelj National Park. I was the only rider of the group, but the horses were so patient and gentle, and Keith and Sabine so instructive and encouraging, my friends were cantering along the plains by Day 3. The food was always excellent; the scenery varied and spectacular; the horsemen efficient and professional. It doesn’t matter if you’re an experienced rider or totally green, there will be a horse for you, and brilliant guides and horsemen to teach you to ride it. You’ll be well-fed, warm and so well taken care of, you might not want to leave.” Charmaine Tan, Singapore, October 2014
Itinerary – Gorkhi Terelj National Park Expeditionn – 8 Days Autumn Horse Trek
The 8 Day Gorkhi Terelj National Expedition explores the valleys of the Terelj and Tuul Rivers, and scenic side valleys; depending on riders’ abilities and horse riding level, and on weather conditions in the late season for horse trekking in Mongolia, we can adjust the itinerary to offer the best experience in the scenic autumn landscape of Gorkhi Terelj National Park.
- Day One – Arrive in Mongolia. We pick you up, see you checked in at the hotel where you can rest or freshen up after a long flight. Depending on your time of arrival, you will have time to check out some city sights or do some last minute shopping
- Day Two – Travel to Darkhid Valley where our trip staging area is located and meet the herders with whom we work. Here you will be assigned your horse and equipment, given preliminary instructions, orientation about the trip and about the days’ travel. A ger or log cabin will be available to change clothes and pack personal equipment for your saddle bags, while the riding and packhorses are being prepared for the adventure. We then travel to the Terelj River in the Gorkhi-Terelj National Park. We pass a number of traditional gers and will see livestock along the way before climbing a pass and dropping down in the Terelj River valley for the night. We’ll cross the river and make our first night in a tented camp.
- Day Three – We ride down the Terelj river valley crossing the river several times and stopping for lunch along he riverbank. After lunch we head up into a large open and beautiful grassy valley, sometimes passing among herds of horses and yaks along the way. Following a forested stream for some kilometers, we make camp in an open stream side meadow for the night. Here one can easily take a walk to stretch the legs and take in the amazing scenery. through forest and over two passes, then descend into a valleyWe camp in an open meadow for the night.
- Day Four – We make our way over two passes and then descend into an open valley where we take lunch. We then continue down the valley, a good place for trotting and reach the lower Zuun Bayan gol valley. From here we head up this open valley making our way towards the rock formations that make the Gorkhi-Terelj unique. We will camp near these for the night. During the days travel we will see herders gers and herds of horses and yak.
- Day Five– On this day we’ll ride among the rock formations and hills for the morning, perhaps stopping at a herder ger for a traditional cup of milk tea before having lunch and then following the Baruunbayngol (river) down to our evenings campsite.
- Day Six – Today travel through wide open steppe valleys and down to the confluence of the Tuul and Terelj rivers, where we’ll stop in this beautiful area filled with cottonwood trees for lunch and refreshment. From here we follow the Terelj upriver passing by Terelj village where we’ll see more gers and cabins and find our camp for the evening.
- Day Seven – On this last day of our riding, we’ll head back up to the upper Terelj river, over a pass and back to the Darkhid Valley where we arrive around mid to late afternoon. Here we’ll enjoy some afternoon refreshment while the horses are being unloaded and your personal gear repacked for your trip back to the hotel and a hot shower for the night.
- Day Eight – Transport to airport or train station.