Khentii Mountains Expedition – 2014
Tour the Khentii Mountains on horseback with Stone Horse Mongolia
The Khentii Mountains Expedition: 14 Days in Country – 12 Days Riding Horses
This trip is for people who are serious about back country horse riding and wilderness travel. This is one of our longer horse riding pack trips going deep into the Mongolian wilderness to enjoy the Khentii Mountains and its stunning scenery. Since we spend longer days in the saddle in fairly rugged country, a moderate to higher level of fitness and riding skill or a keen sense of adventure is required. This trip takes more preparation and is a true expedition into the wilds of Mongolia, which we offer only twice a season in late August and early September.
Expedition Dates 2014 – Khentii Mountains Expeditions
August 14 to 27 Only 3 places open
September 03 to 16 (Fully Booked – This trip is closed)
Price $ 4,050.00 per person
Includes all in-country ground transportation, hotel accommodation with dinner and breakfast, permits, all camping equipment, horse gear, food and accommodation (tent/ger) while in the back country.
Book Your Ride Today!- Group Discounts Are Available
14 Day Khentii Mountains Expedition Itinerary
- Day 1- You’ll be picked up at the airport, train station or your accommodation if already in the country – welcomed and given a quick orientation on the trip and equipment. If necessary and time permits, our staff will assist with any last-minute shopping and preparations. We’ll then drive to an out-of-town hotel where you’ll stay for the night in a traditional Mongolian setting, about a half hours drive from the staging area.
- Day 2- This is the first day of the expedition. After breakfast drive to the Darkhid Valley and our staging area where you’ll meet the herders with whom we work. After some preliminary instructions, gear changes and adjustments, we saddle up and begin our journey. We set out from the Darkhid Valley and travel up through forest, crossing two mountain passes and descending into the upper Terelj River Valley for the 1st night’s tented camp.
- Day 3- We move down the Terelj River through open meadows, crossing the river and streams, passing several herder winter shelters and over a couple of low passes for our second night’s camp in high hay pastures.
- Day 4- From here we descend into the Tuul River Valley and make our way upriver passing herder summer camps and large, open, park like meadows. We camp along the Tuul river for the night.
- Day 5- Moving up the Tuul River, we begin to see changes in the terrain. We pass the confluence of the Khongor and Tuul rivers, leaving herder camps and the cultured landscape behind and entering the wilder upper Tuul River Valley where we’ll camp.
- Day 6- From our riverside camp we move further along the upper Tuul river where the scenery begins to change dramatically as we leave civilization behind.
- Day 7- On this day we may leave the pack horses in camp and explore further into the mountains, ascending to alpine lakes and into moose and bear habitat and returning to our previous nights camp.
- Day 8- Leaving the Tuul River we move further northwest into the mountains, exploring as we go, camping near a small crystal clear river in a beautiful valley for the night.
- Day 9- This is a longer but very interesting day. We ascend a pass and move down to Hagiin Khar Nuur (lake). We have lunch here then move down the Khongor River and over another small pass before making camp.
- Day 10- On this day we ascend a high and steep pass below Altan Ulgii Uul (mountain) and descend into the Baruunbayangiin Gol Valley passing fantastic rock formations and meadows of wildflowers before camping for the night.
- Day 11- From this camp we leave the pack horses and ride into the secluded and well hidden Gunjin Sum temple (the ruin of Princess Temple), returning to previous nights camp area.
- Day 12- We begin our return to Darkhid Valley, moving through open valleys and over a small pass. We camp not far from the Terelj River at Big Larch Meadow.
- Day 13- From the Big Larch Meadow we cross the Terelj River, ride over a mountain pass and return to the Darkhid Valley and our staging area about mid afternoon. Here we’ll unpack the horses and enjoy some refreshment before heading down the valley to the hotel and a hot shower.
- Day 14- Transfer to airport, train station or hotel
4- 6 Guests per trip make for a Low Impact and High Quality Adventure
Learn More about the Khentii Mountains
There’s so much to learn about the Khentii Mountains! Click on one of these links for more in-depth coverage!