Khan Khentii Mountains Horse Riding Expedition
Experience the Khentii Mountain Wilderness on Horseback – 14 Day Horse Trekking Tour
Our Khentii mountains horse riding expedition is a longer trek going into the remote wilderness to enjoy the Khentii Mountains and their stunning scenery. The 14 Day Khentii Mountains horse riding expedition will run in late August.
This trip takes more preparation and is a true expedition into the wilds of Mongolia. It is for people who are serious about back country horse riding and wilderness travel. Since we may spend longer days in the saddle in fairly rugged country, a moderate to higher level of fitness and riding skill, or a keen sense of adventure is required. We will interview interested people to assess their actual ability to undertake this wilderness expedition.
Tour Date 2016 – Khentii Mountains Horse Riding Expedition
Khentii Mountains Wilderness Expedition
August 19 – September 01 14 days in country, 12 days of riding. Our deep wilderness expedition, exploring the Khentii mountains and remote areas of the Strictly Protected Area.
$ 4,200.00 per person (5 places open)
Prices include all in-country ground transportation, hotel accommodation with breakfast, permits, all camping equipment, horse gear, food and accommodation (tent/ger) while in the back country.
Small Groups only – 6 Guests per Expedition for a High-Quality, Low Impact Riding Adventure !
- Day 1- You’ll be picked up at the airport, train station and we’ll get you checked into the hotel to freshen up and rest after a long flight. You’ll have to time if you get in early to see a bit of Ulaanbaatar before beginning the next days ride and start of the expedition.
- Day 2- This is the first day of the expedition. After breakfast drive to the Darkhid Valley and our staging area where you’ll meet the herders with whom we work. After some preliminary instructions, gear changes and adjustments, we saddle up and begin our journey. We set out from the Darkhid Valley and travel up through forest, crossing two mountain passes and descending into the upper Terelj River Valley for the 1st night’s tented camp.
- Day 3- We move down the Terelj River through open meadows, crossing the river and streams, passing several herder winter shelters and over a couple of low passes for our second night’s camp in high hay pastures.
- Day 4- From here we descend into the Tuul River Valley and make our way upriver passing herder summer camps and large, open, park like meadows. We camp along the Tuul river for the night.
- Day 5- Moving up the Tuul River, we begin to see changes in the terrain. We pass the confluence of the Khongor and Tuul rivers, leaving herder camps and the cultured landscape behind and entering the wilder upper Tuul River Valley where we’ll camp.
- Day 6- From our riverside camp we move further along the upper Tuul river where the scenery begins to change dramatically as we leave civilization behind.
- Day 7- On this day we may leave the pack horses in camp and explore further into the mountains, ascending to alpine lakes and into moose and bear habitat and returning to our previous nights camp.
- Day 8- Leaving the Tuul River we move further northwest into the mountains, exploring as we go, camping near a small crystal clear river in a beautiful valley for the night.
- Day 9- This is a longer but very interesting day. We ascend a pass and move down to Hagiin Khar Nuur (lake). We have lunch here then move down the Khongor River and over another small pass before making camp.
- Day 10- On this day we ascend a high and steep pass below Altan Ulgii Uul (mountain) and descend into the Baruunbayangiin Gol Valley passing fantastic rock formations and meadows of wildflowers before camping for the night.
- Day 11- From this camp we leave the pack horses and ride into the secluded and well hidden Gunjin Sum temple (the ruin of Princess Temple), returning to previous nights camp area.
- Day 12- We begin our return to Darkhid Valley, moving through open valleys and over a small pass. We camp not far from the Terelj River at Big Larch Meadow.
- Day 13- From the Big Larch Meadow we cross the Terelj River, ride over a mountain pass and return to the Darkhid Valley and our staging area about mid afternoon. Here we’ll unpack the horses and enjoy some refreshment before heading down the valley to the hotel and a hot shower.
- Day 14- Transfer to airport, train station or hotel
Mongolia’s Khentii Mountains are of outstanding ecological and spiritual value. Read more..
Related Blog Posts: Ancient Horse Trails in the Khentii Mountains of Mongolia
Videos of Khentii Mountain Expeditions: Riding Adventure into the Khan Khentii Mountains August 2013, Khan Khentii Horse Riding Expedition September 2014
Interested in other horse riding tours we offer?
14 Day Wilderness Conservation Adventure – this is a special trip, dedicated to help protect the conservation values of the Khan Khentii Wilderness. Places available, join the effort ! Read more..
14 Day Gorkhi Terelj National Park Horseback Expedition? Read more..
10 Day Gorkhi Terelj National Park Horse Trek ? Read more..
8 Day Gorkhi Terelj National Park Horse Riding Tour in October? Read more..