Khentii Mountains Expeditions – 2015
Tour the Khentii Mountains on Horseback with Stone Horse Expeditions in Mongolia
The Khentii Mountains Riding Expeditions: 12 and 14 Day Horse Trekking Tours
One 12 Day Khentii Mountains horse trek will run in August, and one 14 Day Khentii Mountains horse riding tour will run in September.
This trip is for people who are serious about back country horse riding and wilderness travel. This is one of our longer horse riding pack trips going deep into the Mongolian wilderness to enjoy the Khentii Mountains and its stunning scenery. Since we spend longer days in the saddle in fairly rugged country, a moderate to higher level of fitness and riding skill or a keen sense of adventure is required. This trip takes more preparation and is a true expedition into the wilds of Mongolia, which we offer only twice a season in late August and early September. See the trip dates and prices below.
Note: We will interview interested people to assess their actual ability to undertake this wilderness expedition
Expedition Dates 2015 – Khentii Mountains Expeditions
August 15 to 26 (This is 12 days in country with 10 full days of riding). See video of the 2013 August Horse Riding Tour
September 01 to 14 (This 14 days in country with 12 full days of riding). See clips of the 2014 September Horse Trek
$ 3,600.00 per person (12 Day Expedition August 2015) Fully Booked- Closed
The August 12 Day Khentii trip is fully booked for 2015. Check out other riding tours in August.
$ 4,200.00 per person (14 Day Expedition September 2015) 1 place left on this trip
Includes all in-country ground transportation, hotel accommodation with breakfast, permits, all camping equipment, horse gear, food and accommodation (tent/ger) while in the back country.
Book Your Ride Today! Group discount (10 %) for 3+ people booking together, 5 % discount for 2 people booking together. Contact us.
Small Groups only – 4-6 Guests per Expedition for a High-Quality, Low Impact Riding Adventure !
Download Expedition Info
14 Day Khentii Mountains Expedition Itinerary
- Day 1- You’ll be picked up at the airport, train station and we’ll get you checked into the hotel to freshen up and rest after a long flight. You’ll have to time if you get in early to see a bit of Ulaanbaatar before beginning the next days ride and start of the expedition.
- Day 2- This is the first day of the expedition. After breakfast drive to the Darkhid Valley and our staging area where you’ll meet the herders with whom we work. After some preliminary instructions, gear changes and adjustments, we saddle up and begin our journey. We set out from the Darkhid Valley and travel up through forest, crossing two mountain passes and descending into the upper Terelj River Valley for the 1st night’s tented camp.
- Day 3- We move down the Terelj River through open meadows, crossing the river and streams, passing several herder winter shelters and over a couple of low passes for our second night’s camp in high hay pastures.
- Day 4- From here we descend into the Tuul River Valley and make our way upriver passing herder summer camps and large, open, park like meadows. We camp along the Tuul river for the night.
- Day 5- Moving up the Tuul River, we begin to see changes in the terrain. We pass the confluence of the Khongor and Tuul rivers, leaving herder camps and the cultured landscape behind and entering the wilder upper Tuul River Valley where we’ll camp.
- Day 6- From our riverside camp we move further along the upper Tuul river where the scenery begins to change dramatically as we leave civilization behind.
- Day 7- On this day we may leave the pack horses in camp and explore further into the mountains, ascending to alpine lakes and into moose and bear habitat and returning to our previous nights camp.
- Day 8- Leaving the Tuul River we move further northwest into the mountains, exploring as we go, camping near a small crystal clear river in a beautiful valley for the night.
- Day 9- This is a longer but very interesting day. We ascend a pass and move down to Hagiin Khar Nuur (lake). We have lunch here then move down the Khongor River and over another small pass before making camp.
- Day 10- On this day we ascend a high and steep pass below Altan Ulgii Uul (mountain) and descend into the Baruunbayangiin Gol Valley passing fantastic rock formations and meadows of wildflowers before camping for the night.
- Day 11- From this camp we leave the pack horses and ride into the secluded and well hidden Gunjin Sum temple (the ruin of Princess Temple), returning to previous nights camp area.
- Day 12- We begin our return to Darkhid Valley, moving through open valleys and over a small pass. We camp not far from the Terelj River at Big Larch Meadow.
- Day 13- From the Big Larch Meadow we cross the Terelj River, ride over a mountain pass and return to the Darkhid Valley and our staging area about mid afternoon. Here we’ll unpack the horses and enjoy some refreshment before heading down the valley to the hotel and a hot shower.
- Day 14- Transfer to airport, train station or hotel
Mongolia’s Khentii Mountains are of outstanding ecological and spiritual value. Read more..
Related Blog Posts: Ancient Horse Trails in the Khentii Mountains of Mongolia
Videos of Khentii Mountain Expeditions: Riding Adventure into the Khan Khentii Mountains August 2013, Khan Khentii Horse Riding Expedition September 2014
Interested in the 10 Day Gorkhi Terelj National Park Horse Trek ? Read more..
Or the 8 Day Gorkhi Terelj National Park Horse Riding Tour in October? Read more..